My first major contribution was as part of the design team (alongside Becky, Angleo and Huw). We developed the initial winning exhibition design; ‘Three-Fold’. I came up with the initial triangular theme idea and we developed the design as a closely knit team.
My role has been to Manage and oversee all elements of the Exhibition set up, having being voted into the role by my peers. I came up with the democratic structure myself, designing a system with three departments (Space, Finance and Marketing) and representatives for each of the design groups (Real, Right, Possible) which made up a committee headed by myself. This system has proved very effective at ensuring all issues have been addressed quickly and with maximum efficiency.
As part of my leadership campaign I highlighted that all decisions would be made fairly and democratically and that all ideas would be considered. This is a philosophy that I am proud to say I have carried throughout the process of managing the exhibition. All major decisions were debated between the whole year group and I ensured that everybody was given a vote on all major matters.
I have managed the week-on-week running of the exhibition setup and ensured that roles and responsibilities be given to those best suited to the roles and those keen to engage with the show. This has involved planning (with the help of Becky) and running weekly committee and year meetings, meeting with the Dean, meetings with Chris Dennis (School Administrator), having one-on-one and group meetings with every department (Space, Marketing and Finance), liaising with staff, liaising with reps and helping each group with their work (such as helping Becky sorting out invitations, providing creative suggestions to both Space and Marketing teams). Diplomacy, planning and organisation have been key to my role and I have grown into the role effectively. I have enjoyed the experience and believe I have been successful in my leadership role.
Further to this, I have pitched in with hard manual work. During the construction period I was among around fifteen students who stayed late into the evening to ensure that the show be set up in time. Roles during this period have included constructing and lifting the overhangs, painting, filling and sanding the tables, and arranging and moving the space to enable 1st, 2nd and 3rd years to work effectively.
I have planned to hang my inhaler development designs from the wiring grate in a chronological order so as to highlight my design process. I feel that the body of my work is what will give me the best opportunity of recognition by potential employers. This process, in my opinion, is one of the most valuable things I have learnt during my time at Cardiff School of Art and Design and is the backbone of my design philosophy.
This last few days have been the most intense period of work I have experienced during University. The balance between my own work and completing the space construction has been tiring but rewarding. Again it seems that a committed group helped to push the construction past the finishing line. This last few weeks has taught me a lot about the difference between those individuals who talk about getting up and helping the team, and those who actually get up and get on with it. No doubt this would be regarded as one of those informative experiences for a future career in the commercial environment.
Late night sanding during the last few days before the end of the construction period. Trying to perfect the details at this stage is time consuming. We were keen to get all the tops a matte white, and all cracks between the tables level, filled and sanded back to smooth. In most cases a minimum of three coats of paint are required and at least one round of filling between each of the table joints. In some cases more fixtures are needed to hold tables down evenly. Together, we completed the construction in time for setup.
Tonight the first two overhangs have been put in place. We had a fairly good turn out and forward planning ensured that all health and safety precautions were taken. We decided that lifting and lowering the structure over the balcony was the best way to position the curves, this proved the correct choice. Tomorrow we plan to put the central overhang into position. This will be the most complicated as the concrete column runs right through the centre of the curve. I feel that the same committed group are consistently helping with the construction, as part of this team I feel that the experience is beneficial as it is teaching me how to cope with high stress and tiring situations where teamwork and communication is essential to success and safety. We are now just a handful of days from the end of our allotted construction period. It’s tense and I’m doing everything I can to encourage people come and help.
Today a handful of us worked hard painting the first couple of coats of paint onto the table tops. I took charge f logistics, rearranging the work space and moving table tops to make them accessible to those with the painting equipment. I also helped screw tables down, the biggest challenge with this is getting the tables level. Today I get the real sense that there is a massive amount of work ahead of us. We are yet to begin the most difficult part of the construction; positioning and fixing the overhang structures.In order for that to be a success, we need more people to get involved in the construction.
Huw, Becky and Myself marked out the allocated space on out living room floor today It became quite apparent that the space isn’t as large as we had expected it would be. I am panning to use two sketchbooks of 300mm square on my table. When opened out these leave only a small amount of width empty. I plan to display my process as prominently as possible as I believe it is this which will most likely appeal to an employer.