User testing using my final design has proven successful. With the minimum of instructions, Anna was able to use the device correctly. The feedback on the scale and ergonomics of the device were positive. I will use these images and others to produce a storyboard, detailing the way in which the device is used.
This last few days have been the most intense period of work I have experienced during University. The balance between my own work and completing the space construction has been tiring but rewarding. Again it seems that a committed group helped to push the construction past the finishing line. This last few weeks has taught me a lot about the difference between those individuals who talk about getting up and helping the team, and those who actually get up and get on with it. No doubt this would be regarded as one of those informative experiences for a future career in the commercial environment.
Late night sanding during the last few days before the end of the construction period. Trying to perfect the details at this stage is time consuming. We were keen to get all the tops a matte white, and all cracks between the tables level, filled and sanded back to smooth. In most cases a minimum of three coats of paint are required and at least one round of filling between each of the table joints. In some cases more fixtures are needed to hold tables down evenly. Together, we completed the construction in time for setup.
A sample of the boards which I have produced for both Viva Voce and table top presentations.
Tonight the first two overhangs have been put in place. We had a fairly good turn out and forward planning ensured that all health and safety precautions were taken. We decided that lifting and lowering the structure over the balcony was the best way to position the curves, this proved the correct choice. Tomorrow we plan to put the central overhang into position. This will be the most complicated as the concrete column runs right through the centre of the curve. I feel that the same committed group are consistently helping with the construction, as part of this team I feel that the experience is beneficial as it is teaching me how to cope with high stress and tiring situations where teamwork and communication is essential to success and safety. We are now just a handful of days from the end of our allotted construction period. It’s tense and I’m doing everything I can to encourage people come and help.
This final Arduino Rig shows all the functions. I have programmed this using only a few guides from online and from a book.