This video I put together illustrates the three textures I have included in my design. Here you can see how someone might interact with each of the materials through touch to benefit in the classroom environment.
Here’s the timetable for this afternoon:
2:00pm – 2:15pm
• Minutes from the meeting and what is going on currently.
2:15pm – 3:15pm
Issue Discussion – In Real, Right and Possible groups (roughly 5 to 7 minutes per issue)
• Which space design do we want? (consider Three Fold, Apple Store style tables, and New Ribbon table).
• Glass box – still necessary with banners? What could we do with it?
• Do we want to move the show somewhere else afterwards?
• Humour vs professional, what sort of impression do we want to make?
• Colours, textures or plain white?
• Do we want a seating area? do we have space?
• Refreshments at all times or just industry night – are they needed?
• Personal business cards – Matching or Personal?
• Fab lab feature – (e.g. putting machines in our space) do we want it? do we have the space?
3:15pm – 3:30pm
Vote on the issues above as a year group
• Voted by raise of hands, each vote counted.
• Hierrachy – Fab Lab feature, Seating, refreshments.
3:30pm – 4:30pm
Idea Generation – In Real, Right and Possible groups
• Entrance Design – What functions does it need? (feedback, welcome, goodbye message, information) How should it look?
• Brand Name Ideas – Real, Right, Possible or something else? if so what?
• Sponsor and invite suggestion – Suggest contacts to invite, suggest companies we could approach to sponsor us (consider what we need, could we get food and graphics from a sponsor?)
• Fundraising – How else can we raise necessary funds?
4:30pm – 5pm
Present findings from Idea Generation as a Year Group.
I have a particular interest in the elegance of folding in design. I think this simple and elegant design for a brochure might be a good platform for a catalog for our summer exhibition:
Here are a handful of the many rough ideas I’ve had for the exhibition. There are a very broad range of ideas which include an indoor garden inclusive of deck chairs, turf floor and ice cream machines, the idea being that we celebrate the summer season and create an environment in which people might gather. It also acknowledges that design does not have to be rigid, we too can embrace the quirks more closely related to other subjects within the art school.
Other ideas included the low budget helium balloon mounted boards, using the ceiling to provide more space and allowing the free movement of work with the natural air currents within the room.
Again the use of the ceiling can be seen with the inverted pyramid. This idea uses the notion of breaking boundaries to break up the space and make it seem that objects are breaking through the walls. These objects are then used to mount work and display information.
More traditionally the idea of using of projectors to create mock environments, such as kitchens, highstreets, hospitals and farms may provide a suitable backdrop to contextualise design concepts and inform visitors. Lighting may be an issue here, as projectors don’t tend to work well in lit environments.
I have included an idea of displaying profile cards, hung at head height to introduce the individuals presented within the show. From discussions, people seem keen that they receive personal recognition for their work, and they want to be recognised by potential employers.
As part of the research for this module, I collected information on every students major project, the environment in which they envisage it being used, and the title of their competition design brief for the next term. Around half of people said they were planning to do the toy design brief, and as such I believe it would be valuable to create a traditional playing environment, such as a play pen, to encourage interaction with the products in the show.
Here’s a quick clip showing the process of printing the lid of the inhaler device. This component took an hour to print, and the piece is shown at around 85% completion.
Over the last couple of days, I have produced an accurate 3D printed model of my inhaler design. For this I used the Makerbot Replicator II, and printed in corn starch. The advantage of using the 3D printer is that models can be produced accurately and rapidly. I printed the components individually, using my CAD models directly to translate the design to the printer language. Overall the model took around three hours to print, however printing is just the beginning of the rapid prototyping process. I then had to remove the supports from the model, these are printed below and around the pieces. I also spent around an hour sanding each component, as the 3D printer produces models in layers, the surface has some bumps and texture. The nature of the corn starch is very similar to a plastic, and as a result it is often mistaken for being so, however the advantage of components being made from starch, is that the components are completely compostable.
Having finally removed all the excess support materials, and having sanded the components, I was able to put them together and gain a better insight into their fit together. From this I realised that the reel shaft was too tall to fit correctly, an additional loop to hold the ribbon in place, and that the holes for the magnets were both too shallow and slightly misaligned. These are things which I can modify using CAD. Later in the evening I decided to paint my components. Ideally, I would have like to use spray paints, but on this occasion I used the resources available to me at home, and hand painted the components, eventually using around five coats and some further sanding to produce an outcome. At a later date I would be keen to sand this paint back and use an airbrush. I’m also keen to speak to our metal working technician about producing a cast aluminium model in the university foundry.